SUMMER READING PROGRAM
Our Summer Reading Program kicks off on June 9th in Downtown Ludington during the #loveludingtonweekend starting at 6 p.m. Follow us on Facebook for event details!
Unless otherwise stated, Monday events are at the Ludington Library; Wednesday events are at the Scottville Library. All MCDL events are FREE. Children under 8 must be accompanied by a guardian.
- June 9: Summer Reading Kickoff,
6:00 to 8:00 p.m. Downtown Ludington
- Tuesday, June 13: Latin American Drumming with Tom Ronquillo, 1:00 p.m. Drums provided
- June 12 & 14: Duct Tape classes, 1:00 p.m.
- June 19 & 21: Summerween, 1:00 p.m.
- June 26 & 28: Tie-Dye Day, 1:00 p.m.
- July 3: Magician Gordon Russ, Lud – 1:00 p.m., Svl – 4:00 p.m., and Lud – 7:00 p.m.
- July 5: Magic Lessons, Svl – 11am and Lud – 1:00 p.m.
- July 10 (Lud) & 11 (Svl): Reptile Shows, 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.
- July 17: Worm Day in Ludington ONLY, 1:00 p.m.
- July 19: Planetarium shows in Scottville ONLY, 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
- July 24 & 26: Water Conservation Program, 1:00 p.m.
- July 31 & August 2: Hula Hoop Science Program, 1:00 p.m.
- August 7 & 9: Craft Extravaganza, 1:00 p.m.
- August 14 & 16: Bee Day, 1:00 p.m.
- August 21 & 23: Smoothie Party with Leona Ashley, 1:00 p.m.
- August 28 & 30: End of Summer Reading Parties, 1:00 p.m.
The Mason County District Library encourages all people in our county to participate in the 2023 Summer Reading Program. Our theme this year is “All Together Now!” and it takes all of us to form a community of readers – so join the library in celebrating reading this summer! Every person who signs up is eligible for prizes. Children can be reading on their own or listening to someone else read. Time tracking sheets are available for children up to grade 5; Bingo sheets are provided for Teens and Adults. Everything begins on Friday, June 9. Pick up your form at either library branch or come to the Love Ludington Street Party starting at 6:00 p.m. to get signed up! Over the past several years the library has given away more than 25,000 books to participating children.
Studies have shown that kids can lose as much as ½ grade level in reading proficiency over the summer. Children who spend approximately one minute per day (less than seven hours per year) reading are being exposed to 0.05 million words per year; they score in the 10th percentile on standardized tests. Children who spend approximately 11 minutes per day (less than 70 hours per year) reading are being exposed to 0.6 million words per year; they score in the 50th percentile. Children who spend approximately 38 minutes per day (more than 225 hours per year) reading are being exposed to more than two million words per year; they score in the 90th percentile. Unfortunately, most children spend more time in front of a digital screen than they do in front of a book. American children, ages 2-17, watch television or play with digital devices on average almost 25 hours per week, or 3.5 hours per day. Almost one child in five has more than 35 hours of screen time each week. If children were to spend more time reading and less time in front of a screen, one could anticipate that reading scores would go up. Our Library’s Summer Reading Program, All Together Now! is designed to encourage children to read.
There are programs and events for children, teens, and adults of all ages at the libraries in Ludington and Scottville. There are weekly special programs all summer long. Please check our Facebook page and activity calendar on our website for more information. Or you can pick up flyers for our events or a summer reading schedule at either library. All Mason County District Library programs and events are FREE.
The library would like to thank the following area businesses for their support of the 2023 Summer Reading Program:
- AMC Theaters
- Big Apple Bagels
- Chef John’s
- Dairy Queen
- Domino’s Pizza
- Gordy’s Skate Shop
- Jamesport Brewing Co.
- Jaycees Mini Golf
- Jimmy John’s
- Kuntry Kubbard
- Lake Michigan Carferry
- Lincoln Hills Golf Course
- Little Caesar’s Pizza
- Mycopia Gourmet Mushrooms
- North Country Café
- Old Hamlin
- The Q Smokehouse
- Sable Points Lighthouse Keepers Association
- Stix Bowling
- Taco Bell
- Todd and Brad Reed